Sunday, June 7, 2009

Gordon College, Wenham, Massachusetts

I started my trip by scoping out a college suggested to me by Mrs Millikan: Gordon College of Wenham, Massachusetts. I'm staying with my aunt and uncle and I managed to meet a current Gordon student: my cousin's friend Jenny. Jenny was a spectacular ambassador for her school, and she was generous enough to let me grill her about her alma mater while we munched on ribs and potato salad at my cousin's graduation lunch.

Like Wheaton, Gordon is a small Christian liberal arts college that offers exceptional programs in the liberal arts and sciences within the context of a Christian environment. Gordon has mandatory chapel three times a week, though students can also choose to attend alternate chapel activities such as Bible studies and musical performances.

As Jenny spoke, one phrase that she kept repeating stood out. Her freshman year was characterized by lots of one-on-one attention from professors. The first weeks of school are spent matching up students one-on-one with older students as mentors. The RAs in the dorm work hard to have one-on-one relationships with every student in their charge. After attending a large public high school where she took a lot of AP courses and discussion-heavy classes, Jenny was looking for a school where she could build close relationships with peers and professors. Furthermore, Gordon offer merit-based scholarships, and it was cheaper for her to attend Gordon than UMass-Amherst, the state's flagship public university.

If you're looking for a highly regarded Christian college that will take you far, and you want to live in beautiful New England, Gordon could be the place for you. It's easily accessible to Boston by commuter rail (about 45 minutes to North Station), and it offers a small-school feel with a major American city on its doorstep. You'll get a great education and significant personal attention.

if you'd like to contact Jenny, please feel free to email me and I'll send you her contact information.

No comments: